Disclaimer: Pregnant women should talk to their doctors before trying or seeking any new care to be sure it’s safe for them.
It’s common knowledge that the added weight on the front of expectant mothers increases the stress on the back muscles and lower spine. While there may be various ways that pregnant women deal with this stress and back pain (maybe even by limiting their movement and activity), there are some holistic and healthy treatment options that can be effective relieving the back pain caused by pregnancy.
One of these options is receiving chiropractic care during pregnancy.
In fact, recent studies have indicated that women who have visited a chiropractor just once tend to experience significantly less back pain before, during and after the pregnancy.
How Chiropractors Can Relieve Back Pain in Pregnant Women
According to the American Pregnancy Association, seeing a chiropractor during pregnancy can be helpful in limiting the risk of:
- Developing a more permanent back curve
- Experiencing changes to the pelvic area
- Living with ongoing back pain.
Highlighting these benefits in a different manner, the results of a Canadian study (published in June 2016) indicated that “chiropractic care, averaging only 1.8 visits, led to clinically important improvement in 16 of 17 cases of low-back pain in pregnancy with no adverse effects.”
Findings from various other studies and research have also revealed the following benefits that chiropractic care can have for pregnant women:
- Clearing the spinal path to allow nerve signals to move freely back and forth between various parts of the body and the brain.
- Correcting skeletal anomalies to enable the body to perform at top levels and provide efficient biological communication.
- Relieving back, neck or/and joint pain
- Controlling or minimizing the nausea that can set in during (and last past) the first trimester
- Relaxing the pelvic floor muscles (which can be particularly beneficial for women in their second trimester)
- Expediting the labor and delivery processes
- Limiting the possibility that babies will need to be delivered via C-section.
Explaining the benefits that chiropractic care can have for pregnant women, Clara L. Broggren1 has noted that:
The published evidence even suggests that regular chiropractic care may improve the probability of successful natural
In addition to treating existing back, neck and joint pain, a chiropractor who is trained to work with pregnant women can also show these patients various stretches and exercises to promote health and overall wellbeing during pregnancy.
Contact a Greenwood Village Chiropractor at the Pinto Chiropractor Center
A Greenwood Village chiropractor at the Pinto Chiropractor Center is ready to treat your condition(s) and help you get on the path to healing. Schedule an appointment with us today by calling 1 (720)-485-6894 or by emailing us using the contact form on this page. We look forward to helping and healing you!
1In an article published in the Journal of Chiropractic Medicine in 2007