Spinal Care 101
A spinal adjustment is designed to place movement into the joint and correct the head, spine, and pelvis back to a balanced unstressed position. When this repositioning happens, it reactivates the signal for healing from our brains to the affected part of our body via the nervous system (remember when we were talking about how important health is? This is why!) so that our natural health processes can begin again.
Why Is Balancing Our Bodies So important?
As long as the weight of the head is centered over the neck, the spinal column with remain straight. Once this weight has shifted off-center from trauma or accident, the body will try and compensate for the force and move into a non-centered, unbalanced position which puts added strain on muscles and ligaments in the surrounding area.
This imbalance is so significant it can show up with one of the legs being longer or shorter, due to one side of your hip being higher or lower than the other. That will result in an unbalanced framework resulting in:
- Muscular imbalance
- Abnormal movement
- Decreased Range Of Motion (ROM) in joints
- Deterioration over time with progressing wear and tear
How Do We Receive These Injuries To Our Spine?
As we go throughout our daily lives, our bodies receive micro injuries over and over. As this builds up, it can affect our health and well-being drastically. By seeking regular chiropractic care, you can help prevent the degeneration of your nervous system which in turn helps prevent the degeneration of your overall body. This is very important and one of the key reasons that we like to spread the importance of keeping your spine and nervous system healthy!
How Can I Restore My Body Balance?
We offer different spinal treatments to help restore your spinal health and get movement back into the area. With a gentle touch and non-surgical procedures, most of our patients experience a huge amount of pain relief in just a couple of visits.
We like to sit down with our patients and get to the root cause of their symptoms right away so we can get started on an effective treatment plan immediately. The main goal for us is to restore the entire spine back to its original balanced positions. There should be no strain on the muscles in the surrounding area. Dr. Pinto will first calculate the precise position the entire spine has tilted, shifted or rotated from its center position.
Even if there is only a slight displacement of the spine from its normal position, it can cause injury and imbalance. This can cause brain stem compression resulting in increased problems that can be noticed throughout the body. This is again where we talk about the importance of spinal health and keeping your nervous system healthy! It affects every part of your body so it is very essential to one’s well- being.
What Can You Expect After Spinal Treatment?
Once a correction has been made, the entire nervous system will begin to function better. Immediately, muscles begin to relax and ease up resulting in increased blood and oxygen levels. Healing messages are transmitted through the brain to the affected area and the body’s self-healing process begins. The process of recovery has now begun from the long term effect of being unbalanced following the new corrections. Your body may express itself in different ways. Some common examples would be:
- Alleviation of pain and symptoms
- Tired and/or relaxed feeling
- Lightheadedness and/or headache
- Sinus drainage or popping in the ears
- Joint popping as muscles relax
- Throbbing or tingling sensations
- Muscle soreness over the first few days as the body has moved into a different position
- Pain in the area of an old injury
- Skin temperature changes, sometimes perspiration changes
- Body elimination-diarrhea or constipation
- Painful areas will shift to other areas of the body
- Many times discomfort in limbs will begin to move toward the hands and feet and eventually leave the body.
When Will I Experience Relief?
Depending on the severity of the spinal column condition, the duration of recovery time will vary per individual. Some patients will see relief immediately while others will take more time. One of the key misconceptions is that being out of pain means that your body has healed. Usually, it takes a month to recover or heal for every year the spine has been in an unbalanced position.
Different Stages Of Healing
- Acute Stage – Dr. Pinto’s first and primary objective will be to restore the entire spine to a balanced position. This will then reactivate your body’s natural self-healing process in order to relieve your pain and symptoms quickly and effectively.
- Stabilization & Healing Stage – When the patient is in this stage of recovery, the correction that occurred is becoming stronger and more stable than before. Most of our patients will start to notice more relief while requiring less adjusting during this stage of healing. Your body balance will be monitored occasionally under the doctor’s recommendations to ensure that the correction is maintained and healing continues to thrive.
- Health Maintenance Stage – During this time, the body will continue to recover from the long-term effects the correction had on the entire body, providing the correction is maintained. Regular chiropractic care is always advised, especially with chronic pain conditions. Remember when we spoke about the one month per Year of Injury rule? This means that you need continued care to continue to get better and stay better!
It is generally at this stage where patients being to learn how to take their health into their own hands. If the patient maintains their correction by visiting the doctor periodically, they have the ability to live a pain-free life, strengthen their body’s natural system and increase their overall health and quality in which they live.
How Often Do I Need A Spinal Correction?
During the initial treatment period, a number of different corrections may be necessary to establish a centered spinal column. Once the spine is in a stable holding position, many patients maintain their corrections for weeks, months or even years at a time. Ideally, you seek regular chiropractic care for its benefits! Recovery will continue as long as that optimal healing environment is maintained. Patients who allow adequate time for the correction and stabilization of body balance will see the best long term results.
What Will My First Appointment Look Like?
During your first appointment, Dr. Pinto will gather information about your health and complete a preliminary exam to determine if you have an imbalance (misalignment) present. If one is found and there’s an indication he can help you with your particular condition, we will then take a set of preliminary x-rays to determine the exact degree and magnitude of the misalignment. This will be the conclusion of your first appointment.
Your Second Visit!
During the second appointment, Dr. Pinto will discuss your report of findings and make the spinal correction if able to do so at that time. Once this process is complete, follow-up visits will be scheduled.
Long Term Treatments!
During follow-up visits, Dr. Pinto will evaluate your condition and compare it with a healing timeline to only make spinal corrections when necessary. This will allow your body to fully recover from the long-term progressive degenerative effects of a previously misaligned spine.
Enter Your Information Below to Get Your Free
Back, Neck & Sciatica Pain Report
That Everyone Is Talking About!