ADD & ADHD
For some reason, ADHD seems to afflict boys more often than girls.
We do not “treat” Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
However, since ADHD appears as a neurological disorder and chiropractic care helps reduce nervous system disturbances; many parents who want a natural, non-drug solution for their child have found chiropractic care helpful, even miraculous.
The classic signs that parents and teachers notice:
• Inattention, hyperactivity and being easily distracted
• Difficulty concentrating and sitting still
• Inability to control impulsive thoughts and behaviors
• Easily distracted by noises and activities
• Always moving—fingers, hands, arms, feet or legs
First Things First
Begin by making nutritional and lifestyle changes. Rule out environmental factors by reducing your child’s exposure to substances that are increasingly common these days:
• Remove food dyes, preservatives and additives from the diet.
• Focus on natural, organic foods grown without pesticides or herbicides.
• Determine if an allergy involved such as dairy or gluten and eliminate.
• Eliminate all sugars and artificial sweeteners.
• Reduce the use of cleaning agents, detergents, fabric softeners and other chemicals.
These are wise choices whether your child has the symptoms associated with ADHD or not!
The most common treatment is drugging the child with a Class 2 psychotropic drug.
The artificial approach to controlling symptoms of ADHD is to administer regular doses of methylphenidate. More commonly known as Ritalin®.
Ritalin® is a schedule II controlled substance related to, and producing similar effects as, amphetamines and cocaine. The side effects, including personality changes and permanent changes to the brain, cause many parents to look for alternatives. More and more are wisely turning to chiropractic.
Chiropractic: Pure and Natural
Hyperactivity is not the result of a Ritalin® shortage! Instead, we look for disturbances to the child’s nervous system. We almost always see problems caused by the spinal distortions in the upper neck.
In fact, this link between the spine, brain stem dysfunction and ADHD is common. A thorough chiropractic examination can reveal noticeable spinal distortion, even a reversal of the normal neck curve. With a schedule of safe and natural chiropractic adjustments, these often resolve, reducing and nervous system tension.
Find Out More
As parents, we want the best for our children. If your child exhibits the symptoms of ADHD, you know it affects virtually everyone your child is in contact with. Before you submit to drug therapy, make an appointment for a chiropractic evaluation. Call our office today!